How to Deal with Scalp Itch after a Hair Transplant
Content overseen by Doctor Costin Pasnicu who has over 7 years of experience in the medical field and has performed numerous successful surgeries. He graduated from the renowned University of Medicine and Pharmacy "Carol Davila" Bucharest.
Is scalp itching normal after a hair transplant in Turkey?
Itching is not something unusual after a hair transplant operation in Turkey. One of the main reasons for an itchy scalp after such procedure could be the postoperative reaction of the scalp to the new hair follicles implanted in the area. This can be explained by the fact that the skin is getting used to the new hair. Also, most of the times, the sensation is not exactly that of itching, but more of tingling, which is something normal, according to our hair transplant surgeons in Istanbul.
Why does my scalp itch after a hair transplant in Turkey?
- Dryness of the transplanted area, mainly from shampooing;
- An allergic reaction to topical creams applied after the hair transplant;
- An infection can also be a cause for scalp itches after a hair transplant operation;
- A skin illness that existed prior to the hair restoration procedure in Turkey.
Side effects of scalp itching after hair restoration in Turkey
Other side effects of scratching the scalp if it itches can imply:
- breakouts on the scalp, such as pimples which can generate complications;
- a bruising of the recipient area due to the constant scratching of the itch;
- swelling of the transplanted area or even of the whole scalp;
- temporary or permanent fall of the newly-implanted hairs.
Scalp itching after a hair transplant is normal, however, our medics recommend you ask for advice before purchasing any products and treat the itching on your own.
What to do about scalp itching after a Turkey hair transplant?
- Using a skin moisturizer on the head. If itching is not alleviated, the hair transplant physician in Turkey may prescribe a mild topical steroid in order to release it;
- Anti-histamines, petroleum jelly or baby oil could be effective as well.
This side effect could be felt by patients for maximum three months after the hair transplant operation in Istanbul. However, it is important not to scratch the scalp as this could irritate the healing tissues in the first month after the hair restoration. Though, after this period, patients could gently massage the head, which may eliminate the itching and encourage the healing process.
What our physicians do in order to reduce scalp itching after a hair transplant
Our experienced hair transplant physicians in Turkey are able to significantly reduce the occurrence of scalp itching after a hair restoration by utilizing a stern post-op procedure whose main objective is to allow wound healing.
This protocol is comprised of, among others, the utilization of an antibacterial ointment throughout the suture line to maintain it greasy in the first couple of weeks after the operation.
Also, we decrease the crust formation on the recipient area by irrigating and soft washing this area twice a day after the operation and every day thereafter.
In this case, a mild shampoo is utilized to enable the crust removal. In case the crusts are not eliminated in the initial couple of days after the surgery, commonly, they will persevere until the hairs they are formed upon are shed.
In the rare instances when patients still itch despite the above-mentioned measures, our Turkey hair transplant physicians will consider the possibility of a contact dermatitis or an infection.
If these are not present, the patient is prescribed hydrocortisone ointment (OTC) 1% or 2.5% applied according to the patient’s needs on the suture line and/or the recipient site.
FAQ on scalp itching problems
1. Is it normal for the scalp to itch a few months after the hair transplant?
As mentioned above, the scalp can itch for up to 3 months after a hair transplant, however, if this itching persists, you should contact our hair transplant surgeons in Istanbul.
2. If I scratch the scalp after a hair transplant can I damage the area?
Yes, the chances are very high for the transplanted area to be damaged permanently.
3. Can I use drugs recommended by a pharmacist if my scalp itches after a hair transplant?
Our hair transplant physicians recommend you do not use any drugs if they are purchased from a pharmacy without their consent.
4. When can I expect the scalp it to stop for good?
After the first hairs grow, the scalp itch given by the hair transplant should stop, however, this period depends on the patient.
Our talented Turkey hair transplant surgeons use the most advanced surgical methods with extreme care in order to reduce the risk of hair restoration post-operational itching. To find out more information on the methods they use, as well as how to treat scalp itch after a hair transplant, we invite you to get in touch with us.