Ethnic Hair Transplant in Turkey
Content overseen by Doctor Costin Pasnicu who has over 7 years of experience in the medical field and has performed numerous successful surgeries. He graduated from the renowned University of Medicine and Pharmacy "Carol Davila" Bucharest.
We invite you to our hair transplant clinic in Turkey for an initial consultation during which the entire procedure will be explained by our experienced surgeons. We can help you achieve a natural look no matter if you are interested in a Hispanic, Asian or Afro hair transplant in Turkey.
Common ethnic hair characteristics for hair transplants in Turkey
When it comes to hair characteristics in ethnic hair transplants in Turkey, some of them include:
• The Hispanic patients can have different hair characteristics based on their origins, however, hair loss is often met between them. A hair transplant physician in Turkey should be aware of the cultural diversity of patients with Hispanic origins and respect it in order to create the most natural-looking outcomes;
• African American patients generally have coarser hair that grows with a curved form. It is important for the surgeon who undertakes the hair transplant in Turkey to take this characteristic into account when extracting hair grafts for Afro hair transplant in Turkey, as it can be hard to observe the curved shape under the skin. Also, in order to render the most aesthetic outcomes, the hairline created should be characteristic for this ethnic group;
• Asian descent patients are well known to have straight and thick black hair, as well as a lower and wider hairline. When implanting the hair grafts, the physician should be careful to place them at low angles, so that the hair looks natural and it lays on a straight line.
Hair density patterns in different ethnicities
In order to ensure a successful hair transplant operation, our doctors in Istanbul will first have to do some tests in order to establish the procedure to be employed. Also, the hairs from the donor area will have to match the ones in the recipient area. Also, density plays an important role when undergoing a hair transplant in Turkey because the implanted hair must render natural-looking results that do not imply too much or lesser hair on various areas of the head.
Here are the main hair density patterns when it comes to an ethnic hair transplant in our clinic in Istanbul:
- Asians have a medium hair density, however, they have one of the fastest hair growth patterns among all races;
- Caucasians have the highest hair density among all ethnicities, however, their hair growth pattern is not that high;
- African American patients have the lowest hair density which is characterized by the slowest growth rate; our Afro hair transplant in Turkey specialists can give you more details;
- Hispanic patients are a mix of Caucasian and African patients and make some of the best candidates for hair transplants.
Since Afro hair transplants are one of the biggest challenges in this medical field, our doctors in Turkey have specialized in offering patients seeking ethnic hair transplants natural looks they can be proud of.
Ethnic hair transplant methods in Turkey
Personalized implantation and harvesting methods are used to create specific hairlines in ethnic hair transplants in Turkey. At the same time, our experienced surgeons also take into consideration the patient’s age, head shape, gender, degree of hair loss, as well as facial characteristics in order to generate the most aesthetic outcomes which will also look great as the years go by.
Particularities of Afro hair transplants in Turkey
In our hair transplant clinic in Turkey, we try to cover the needs of all types of patients, no matter their ethnicity. When it comes to Afro hair transplant operations, we do our best to respect all the characteristics of such patients and from our surgeons’ experience, the Follicular Unit Extraction (FUE) method renders the best results.
When performing hair transplants for Afro-American men, our experienced hair restoration surgeons in Turkey are aware there are certain particularities attributable to this type of hair and skin.
These particularities may consist of the following factors:
• The hair line for Afro-American men can present a low hairline, as well as a medium high hairline;
• The Afro-American curly hair has easily damageable roots when conventional hair transplant methods and devices are used. Therefore, a special method is utilized making sure that the transplant will be appropriate and the hair bulbs remain intact;
• The thick, black Afro-American curly hair confers more coverage than straight, thin hair, requiring less hair to be transplanted and providing enough coverage;
• Because it is curled, with the Afro-American hair, the angle placement is not as important as it is with straight hair. Our physicians will follow the natural angle of the hairs and vary the degree at different areas, to ensure a natural looking hair growth, enabling the patient to comb his hair in any way preferred.
If in the past the strip procedure was employed, nowadays, the FUE procedure has proven to offer the best results, as instead of scalpels used to cut portions of skin with hairs on them, the extraction of the hairs to be transplanted is made with the help of tiny punches, thus avoiding linear scars and the formation of lumpy scars known as keloids.
Our doctors use the FUE method in Afro hair transplants in our clinic in Turkey because it is also easier to respect the shape of the hair (which usually is curved in these patients), the layer of the skin which is thicker than in patients of other races, and the stronger anchoring of the follicles.
If you have any questions about the hair transplant costs in Turkey, we invite you to get in touch with us for a personalized offer.
Hair transplant methods for afro hair transplant in Turkey
As previously mentioned, there are two main hair transplant solutions: FUT (follicular unit transplantation or the strip transplant) and FUE (follicular unit extraction). We briefly describe the two below:
- FUT: hair is harvested in a strip from the donor area and, as needed it is then further processed to dissect the grafts and prepare them for insertion; it can ensure a higher yield of hair in many patients, however, it can leave more visible scars as the doctor will use larger inserts or will transplant the strip altogether;
- FUE: the doctor performs a punch incision around the hair follicle as the aim is to harvest individual follicular units and prepare them for transplant; once individually inserted, this method will provide more natural results in many cases and, as previously mentioned, because patients qualifying for afro hair transplant in Turkey will typically require fewer grafts, this method can be preferred.
Scarring is less obvious in the FUE technique, an issue to which afro patients may be predisposed (the aforementioned keloid scars), however, it is highly important that it is performed by an experienced physician, such as our hair transplant doctors in Turkey. This method makes it more likely for individual hair follicles to be damaged when transplanted because of the fact that, as said, afro hair maintains a curly or wavy shape inside the scalp. In this case, transection (the unintentional transverse sectioning of a hair follicle during transplant) can be higher. This is not to say that transection is not possible in other ethnicities, however, the doctor’s experience and the manner in which he or she extracts the follicles is even more important in afro hair transplant in Turkey. Our doctors have extensive experience and work diligently to ensure that hair follicles are collected in such a way that they can be used for transplantation, even when harvested from more problematic areas, such as the side of the head where an incorrectly used angle when harvesting can compromise the chosen follicle.
Afro hair transplants required experience as well as using specific techniques and maintaining a natural look. The use of one of both options will be discussed during the initial visit. Our patients should also know that, if appropriate, the doctor can decide to use both methods depending on the degree of hair loss and the desired outcome.
The video below provides more details about Afro hair transplant in Turkey and ethnic hair transplants:
Most Common Afro Hair Problems
What to consider in an Afro hair transplant?
In our hair transplant clinic in Istanbul, ethnic hair transplants are completed by respecting every characteristic of the patient. When it comes to Afro hair transplants in our clinic in Turkey, during the surgery our surgeons will consider the following:
- the hairline design which has unique patterns depending on if the patient is a male or female;
- trimming the hair shorter than in patients of other races in order to observe the correct hair growth direction;
- hyperpigmentation of the donor area which is common in patients of Afro American origins;
- keloids which can be successfully treated with ointments and other medicines that help with the healing.
Several years back, when ethnic hair transplants were completed based on characteristics of a race, nowadays, patients can take advantage of personalized treatment schemes in order to obtain natural-looking results. In the case of Afro hair transplants, our surgeons in Turkey will take into consideration all the features of the ethnicity but also of the patient, in order to offer them the best look.
We invite you to our clinic in Istanbul for an initial consult and a personalized treatment plan which helps you obtain the hair you always wanted.
Recovery after afro hair transplant in Turkey
The immediate post-transplant care is the same as in all other cases and the doctor will give you instructions (and a care package, in some cases) on how to wash and care for the transplant area and whether or not you should take any anti-inflammatory medication. He can also prescribe hair growth medication, however, this is not needed in all cases.
As in any surgical procedure, one can expect certain adverse events that can include the swelling of the scalp (therefore the need for the anti-inflammatory medication), numbness or itching, and redness. Your doctor will give you details on what to expect and he will also ask you to schedule a follow-up visit so that he may see how you are recovering immediately after the transplant.
The procedure is an outpatient one (you will not be hospitalized) and you will be able to return to work in a few days if you wish to do so. Our doctors will ensure that any risks are minimized and that they select the treatment options that will allow you to obtain natural-looking and satisfactory results.
Patients who undergo afro hair transplant in Turkey may need to accept that they will be required to adjust their hair maintenance routine after the procedure. This means that, as per the doctor’s recommendations, they will need to stop braining the hair (which may have caused traction alopecia in the first place) and refrain from using hair straightening methods that damage the hair. This is not only applicable immediately after the hair transplant, it is best that these haircare practices are to become lifelong ones. The hair transplant should last a lifetime, with the final results after approximately 12 months (of course, you will see the beneficial results before this period, however, it is assumed that the final ones appear between 12 and 18 months once the hair has fully grown in the areas of interest).
It is normal for the patient to experience hair loss after FUE transplant, within approximately two weeks, however, this is the way in which new hairs will grow in the targeted area. You should not be alarmed by this process and your doctor in Turkey will walk you through the upcoming hair growth stages, to know exactly what to expect.
Summary of hair transplants in Turkey for Afro-American men
Clinical trials on hair loss
According to the International Society of Hair Restoration Surgery, FUE is one of the safest hair transplant techniques in the world.
The US National Library of Medicine published a study on hair loss, which indicates that:
- alopecia is one of the most common diseases in women of African descent and the first treatment is usually the administration of minoxidil 2% or 5%;
- in African women the average age at diagnosis is 40, while in Caucasian women, the average age is 55;
- scarring alopecia is another disease found in African American women, affecting between 5.6% and 16.2% of them;
- if after 9 to 12 months of administering minoxidil the results are not conclusive, hair transplant is the best option.
For more details about the ethnic hair restoration in Turkey, or if you wish to schedule a consultation with our Turkey hair transplant surgeons, please get in touch with us today!