Hair Loss: Causes and Prevention
A lot of men and women from all around the world have their self-confidence affected by the fact that they are losing too much hair. Many times, this condition also interferes with their social life and work. Although losing from 100 to 120 hairs each day is normal, any hair loss higher than this number may in fact be classified as hair loss. Here is a list of hair loss causes and prevention tips that can help you understand more about this subject.
Causes of Hair Loss
Hair loss happens when the cycle of hair growth and shedding is interrupted or when the hair is damaged and substituted with scar tissue.
Hair transplant specialists in Turkey do not comprehend the exact cause of hair loss, however most of the times it is connected to one or several of these factors:
• Heredity: it is the most common cause of hair loss that leads to male-pattern baldness or female-pattern baldness. It generally occurs progressively and in predictable patterns (a receding hairline and bald areas for men and thin hair for women);
• Hormonal changes and imbalances: can cause temporary hair loss. They could be induced by pregnancy, childbirth or the beginning of menopause. They could also be the result of thyroid problems;
• Medical conditions:
o Patchy hair loss (alopecia areata): it takes place when the immune system attacks the hairs, triggering sudden hair loss that leaves bald patches on the skin of the scalp.
o Infections of the scalp: certain infections may affect the hair and skin of the head, causing patches and hair loss. As soon as the infection is cured, the hair usually grows back.
o Skin disorders: diseases such as lichen planus, certain types of lupus and sarcoidosis could lead to permanent hair loss in the affected area.
o The hair-pulling condition (trichotillomania): it makes patients have the incontrollable impulse to pull out their hair from the head, eyebrows or other parts of the body.
• Medications: hair loss could be the result of some drugs patients are prescribed for cancer, arthritis, depression, heart issues, high blood pressure and birth control. Consumption of excess vitamin A could also cause hair loss.
• Other causes: hair loss could be caused by other factors like radiation to the head, a physical or an emotional shock or some hairstyles and treatments such as pigtails, cornrows, hot oil treatments or permanents.
Prevention of Hair Loss
Our hair transplant clinic in Turkey specializes in different treatments for hair loss. From our experience, we discovered that certain preventable types of hair loss could be avoided by following these tips:
• Have a nutritionally balanced diet;
• Do not frequently use tight hairstyles, like braids, buns or ponytails;
• Avoid obsessive twisting, rubbing or pulling the hair;
• Wash and brush your hair gently and use a wide-toothed comb that can prevent pulling out your hair;
• Do not use damaging treatments for your hair like hot rollers, curling irons, hot oil treatments and permanents.
Our hair transplant doctors in Istanbul have extensive experience in transforming the looks of their patients and giving them back their confidence with hair restoration procedures. Please contact us if you need to know more about the hair loss causes and our prevention advices or if you want to know the hair transplant cost at our clinic in Turkey.